Holden Fund Grants|
WCAS distributed over $17,000 in grants to several local and one international organization to carry out education and conservation programs. They were made possible by a generous bequest from Polly Holden. Recipients for 2009 include:
- Life Net for engaging the local community in Ecuador in bird conservation and environmental education, including a Christmas Bird Count, and initiative with hummingbirds and migrants who come to New Jersey.
- Lawrence Nature Center and Lawrence Greenway for equipment for its young birders program;
- D & R Greenway Land Trust to produce a trail guide for the Sourlands Ecosystem Preserve;
- Friends of Hopewell Valley Open Space for tools for its invasive species strike team, and
- Conserve Wildlife for its proposal to develop and distribute a series of educational articles to introduce New Jersey's rare wildlife to classrooms across the state.
Applications for next year's awards are due Nov. 1. The guidelines are on the WCAS website.